Tuesday, April 14, 2009

Let's go to Foley's for a Drink

I don’t have a “Norm” type bar where everyone knows my name ala Cheers. That’s probably a good thing. Although, JJ Foley’s in Boston’s South End is where my work compadres and I roll after work – and sometimes during work (we’re dedicated patrons). To use an over-used but appropriate term this place is “old school.” The bartenders wear crisp white dress shirts with ties and call patrons sir, even if they might not qualify. All the historic crazy crap on the walls documenting Boston’s political history, that looks like it’s been there for 100 years, probably has (Foley’s turns 100 this year – Happy Birthday!). When it was respectable for a politician to have a drink and discuss politics (crazy, huh) Foley’s was the place to hop on your soapbox with a Guinness in hand. I’ve chatted up ex-mayor Ray Flynn a few times at the bar. What with all the political correctness in the world today, sadly it now seems a politician can only go to a bar if it’s a media related event (or if he's retired). How pathetic considering that the American Revolution was instigated in the taverns of Massachusetts. The first murmurs of revolt were lubricated with rum doled out by Massachusetts publicans. Why does everyone hate the freedom! But I digress.

Foley’s recently expanded and added a kitchen. The old bar side doesn’t have barstools, a feature that I adore. Patrons stand at the bar or go and sit at one of the tables along the wall. I sit on my butt all day and don’t need a stool to enjoy an IPA. This provides unfettered access to the bartender and a more social environment where real estate along the bar belongs to all.

The new side does have barstools; let’s call it the restaurant side. Food can be purchased in the old side, but I just can’t get used to eating over there. It’s like ordering a lobster roll at Fenway Park instead of a hotdog. I’m a traditionalist, when it works for me. The food can be described as better than average pub grub with an eye on the old country (did I mention that Foley’s is an Irish bar). Corned beef (in March at least), shepherds pie, fish and chips – no surprises here. Although I’d bet that your average person in Ireland eats ten times more Indian and fast food than corned beef. The Foley’s burger is solid; the pizza is decent as are the wings and other appetizers - and it’s all affordable. Burger is $8. Steak tips are $11.50.

Foley’s is as good a place to put a little food in the belly to start the night as it is for last call. With a 2am liquor license and easy to find parking (at 1am), Foley’s can go from stone-dead to raging in a matter 30 minutes. By 1:30am or so things can get a little freaky, but I’ll save some of those stories for another time.

No comments:

Post a Comment